It's probably best not to ask questions

By stretch | Friday, May 21, 2010 at 3:07 p.m. UTC

duct_cable.jpg

...and just be glad that the community lab (located down in my basement) now has a dedicated 100 Mbps Ethernet connection to my home's router. The previous solution was a stop-gap: the lab was connected to a Linksys WRT54G running the Tomato firmware, which in turn acted as an 802.11g client to the access point built in to the broadband router, an Actiontec MI424WR (the Verizon FiOS flavor).

Have a good weekend!

Posted in Random

Comments

sfoskett
May 21, 2010 at 3:23 p.m. UTC

I've absolutely used forced-air ducts as wiring conduit. Sometimes they're the best top-to-bottom run in a home! I insist on using conduit-rated cable for this, though, because I'm paranoid...

Stephen

JasonTracy (guest)
May 21, 2010 at 3:44 p.m. UTC

Please tell me that is plenum rated cable. :)

ccie14745
May 21, 2010 at 3:56 p.m. UTC

I thought for a second that I was reading thereifixedit.com. Nice work. :)

Garg0yle
May 21, 2010 at 4:29 p.m. UTC

Necessity is the mother of invention. ;-)

Colby
May 21, 2010 at 5:55 p.m. UTC

Hahahahaha!

Todd (guest)
May 21, 2010 at 7:55 p.m. UTC

I think you need to read the "How to be invisible" book again.

stretch
May 21, 2010 at 11:36 p.m. UTC

@Todd: Actually I just bought that to learn how to be more popular; I just read it backward. :)

Ryan Tucker (guest)
May 22, 2010 at 10:10 p.m. UTC

You know, I think I see a very good spot for a large potted plant.

Pete2501 (guest)
May 24, 2010 at 3:35 a.m. UTC

Isn't there a slight issue with cable elevation and electrocution? Maybe because you're using 120V this doesn't matter?

xfw® (guest)
May 24, 2010 at 2:53 p.m. UTC

hahaha better change the wire´s colour or just mom will enter on kernel panic mode!

Greetings from Spain

wi®

kc (guest)
May 24, 2010 at 5:49 p.m. UTC

I once had to snake some cabling down a floor, but the duct work had both (enclosed in the wall) vertical and horizontal runs. The solution: Attach the pull string to a small RC car. Open the grate, drop it down until it landed on it's wheels and drive down the horizontal run! Would of been cool if i had a wireless camera on it and I could have inspected the ducts while I was at it.

Jim (guest)
May 27, 2010 at 9:02 p.m. UTC

We got this at work with the sole purpose of running cable, it works fantastically through most drop-ceilings.

bigjon (guest)
May 31, 2010 at 12:18 a.m. UTC

Just chuck a pot plant in front of it! Out of sight out of mind.

Jason Ruiz (guest)
June 2, 2010 at 5:11 p.m. UTC

Oh no not Tomato! You gotta give DD-WRT a try, I never regretted it after I found out it supported VLAN tagging.

1001QA (guest)
June 5, 2010 at 7:09 a.m. UTC

How about something like this?

I once considered this to connect a condo with a locker in the basement of a high rise building.

Comments have closed for this article due to its age.