HSRP/VRRP/GLBP cheat sheet

By stretch | Monday, September 15, 2008 at 3:22 a.m. UTC

HSRP/VRRP/GLBP cheat sheet

Monday's here and I feel like I'm ready to get back on track. What better way to start off the week than with a new cheat sheet? This one is on HSRP, VRRP, and GLBP, which are collectively classified as first hop redundancy protocols.

It is somewhat irritating that we have three protocols which accomplish nearly the same tasks. HSRP and VRRP are practically identical, while GLBP expands their functionality to offer load balancing. Interestingly, VRRP does not support IPv6, as IPv6 can provide more robust router discovery through its Neighbor Discovery Protocol. Cisco has included IPv6 support in HSRP and GLBP, though.

Posted in Announcements

Comments

Peter (guest)
September 15, 2008 at 4:28 a.m. UTC

It came two days too late, I just passed my CCNP switching test on Friday! But thanks, it looks like a good addition to the already wonderful library.

Tony Murphy (guest)
September 15, 2008 at 7:16 a.m. UTC

Great new cheat sheet, it may be worth noting that Cisco recommend that the preempt value should be the time +50% it takes for participating router to boot up into an forwarding state.

I was reading the Campus SRND last night because I was bored!!!

Regards

Tony

Dirk (guest)
September 16, 2008 at 9:06 a.m. UTC

Is Neighbor Discovery Protocol a viable solution for first-hop redundancy?

Leo (guest)
September 16, 2008 at 2:29 p.m. UTC

great job...thanks

Amr Abu Sair (guest)
September 16, 2008 at 4:23 p.m. UTC

Thanks Jeramy :)

Justin (guest)
September 17, 2008 at 12:43 a.m. UTC

I would also like more information on IPv6 NDP as a first-hop redundancy protocol. I would assume this would only work for auto-config clients and not DHCPv6 or static assigned devices? This would also depend on the client's stack for failover and detection, is this even viable? BTW, I really enjoy your site. Thanks,

Ciscozine (guest)
November 18, 2008 at 1:04 p.m. UTC

Using multigroup with HSRP, it is possible define a simple load-balancing... more info on http://www.ciscozine.com/2008/11/01/how-to-optimize-hsrp/

Wassim (guest)
January 4, 2010 at 1:08 p.m. UTC

Hi, HSRP is Cisco proprietary, not RFC. Aside from that, you're doing a great job!

stretch
January 4, 2010 at 2:34 p.m. UTC

@Wassim: Research before commenting. RFC 2281

shadowman724
January 4, 2010 at 9:08 p.m. UTC

Sorry Stretch, that's what I read on the Cisco Press Exam Guide :(

AH (guest)
September 24, 2014 at 2:59 a.m. UTC

Great job! Thanks for the cheat sheet. It's really useful to show to my trainees :-)