By stretch | Monday, February 9, 2009 at 2:47 a.m. UTC
With Shmoocon out of the way and uncharted waters ahead, I'd like to dedicate a post to all of the cool people I met over the past couple days. A lot of these guys and gals maintain security-related blogs and other outlets that networkers should check out, especially those of us leaning toward the security side of things.
- Rob Fuller/mubix (Twitter) - I've known Rob for a number of years but this was our first meeting in person. Much of mubix's time over the last few days (and weeks) was devoted to organizing and acquiring sponsorship for the after-hours fire talks and podcasters meetup.
- Ken, Bryan, Andy, and other members of the Shmoocon Labs staff. These guys, along with the Labs army, put in a lot of effort to keep the Shmoocon network humming along smoothly.
- I was fortunate enough to hang out with 6ena, who recognized me from Twitter. This girl will root your box and leave you begging for more.
- Marcus J Carey (Twitter) gave an excellent fire talk and is a delight to converse with. He also runs the DojoSec talks up in the Columbia, MD, area.
- Johnny Long was there working for donations to Hackers for Charity, and enlisting bloggers and other presenters for a very cool project set to debut next month. Count me in!
- Got a chance to chat with Paul Asadoorian and Larry Pesce from pauldotcom.com, who are both insanely energetic and motivated about what they do. Listen to their podcasts if you doubt me.
- I ran into KymPossible a couple times, who had her hands plenty full running the Hack or Halo contests.
- A good number of people caught me wandering the halls throughout the con, wanting to know if I was "packetlife." In hindsight I should have written down everyone's names for proper shout-outs, or given out free CAT5 or something. Next year, I promise!
What's irritating is I know I talked to way more people than this, all of them interesting, but my memory sucks and it's been a rough day. My apologies if I neglected you! Whack me with a virtual Shmooball and I'll be sure to add you to my list!
Posted in Announcements
February 9, 2009 at 10:38 a.m. UTC
"...given out free CAT5 or something."
February 9, 2009 at 10:16 p.m. UTC
Thanks for your all your help during the network setup. Your ability to work well under pressure, with minimal direction and your networking knowledge contributed a lot to our success!