Submarine cable repair

By stretch | Friday, January 2, 2009 at 12:00 a.m. UTC

Ever wonder how broken undersea cables get repaired? A few interesting links were posted to the NANOG mailing list last month, including a series of YouTube videos produced by Hibernia Atlantic onboard Global Marine's Cable Innovator. My favorite is this one demonstrating how the individual fibers are prepared and spliced together:

Other videos in the series demonstrate (in no particular order):

Interesting stuff. Alcatel also has a couple nifty Flash videos demonstrating how cables are laid and retrieved for repair.

Posted in Random

Comments

HH (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 1:11 a.m. UTC

This stuff is always fascinating to see how it's done, unfortunately I'm at work and i'm in the drawing pretty diagrams area of IT so I don't have access to the videos at the moment, look forward to watching them when I get home.

Craig Askings (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 11:25 a.m. UTC

If you are curious about the process that goes into deploying a submarine cable. You can follow the one, that the company I work for is building.

PPC 1 Blog

Nicolas (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 11:33 a.m. UTC

Cable between egypt and tunisia has just been broken :( This kind of ship was already there to repair the damaged fiber cable , but earth moved elsewhere and they had to start again :( So France and Europe must be re routed to the US if they want to reach the whole Asia !! That must be a lot of traffic !

Thanks for the Video Stretch !
Nicolas

Eric (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 5:27 p.m. UTC

Thats pretty cool, I have often wondered why cables dont break more often on the bottom of the ocean. My imagination certainly thinks the bottom of the ocean is a much more horrible place then it probably is. Guess I have seen Abyss and Leviethan too many times.

Watching that first video I couldnt help but think "how many sailors does it take to splice one piece of fiber together?" :p

e-

kevin (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 6:12 p.m. UTC

Where can I get a map of the internet links with some detail? I would like to have a worldmap of the real internet links including sat links to know how my packets travel around the world. It would be great to know more about this ..is so virtual for us..

Jesse Krembs (guest)
January 2, 2009 at 8:40 p.m. UTC

Th PPC 1 Blog is tons of fun, but these video are equally cool.

George Findlay CCNA (guest)
January 7, 2009 at 5:08 p.m. UTC

Kevin, check out this link

Not entirely sure if this is every cable but its the only decent source I've come accross. Maybe someone has a better source?

Comments have closed for this article due to its age.