Poll: VOIP experience

By stretch | Wednesday, October 22, 2008 at 7:47 a.m. UTC

A number of readers have written in to request VOIP related cheat sheets and articles. Personally, I'm still trying to expand into the IP telephony arena. I've done a little studying on the CCVP track and a mini-lab involving VICs and a VG224, and deal with a few IP phones through the course of my work, but nothing with CUCM or design. Hopefully I can get myself up to speed and start cranking out some H.323/MGCP/SIP cheat sheets in the near future, and expand from there.

How about you?

Posted in Announcements

Comments

Al (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 1:04 p.m. UTC

I would welcome voice related articles and cheat sheets. The telecoms industries in many countries round the world are transitioning to IP so this stuff is very important. Some examples of relevant protocols: SIP, SDP, RTP, RTSP, MGCP, H.323, Megaco / H.248

Peter (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 2:24 p.m. UTC

I would also love voice cheat sheets. I've been wanting to learn it for a while, and I finally have the time now.

Igor (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 3:48 p.m. UTC

I also would like to see more VOIP related articles on this great website.

Bill (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 5:26 p.m. UTC

Great idea for a cheat sheet!

Kristian Kielhofner (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 7:27 p.m. UTC

I'd love to help you with some SIP cheat sheets: SIP, SDP, RTP, SDES, SRTP, etc.

Tim Walsh (guest)
October 22, 2008 at 11:13 p.m. UTC

Just picked up a couple Cisco MC3810 routers for my lab. Couldn't beat the price and since they have FXS and FXO personality modules, as well as serial, ethernet and the ability to add T1/E1 and ISDN cards they seemed like a good investment.

Passed the QOS portion of the CCVP test last month, working on the new CVoice test at this time. Any cheat sheet would be appreciated.

I have some posted in my cube at work, and carry others with me in my study note book.

Thanks for sharing. I've shared a subnet quiz generator and some videos over on the hacki site for dynamip/dynagen to try to help others.

Dovydas Sankauskas (guest)
October 23, 2008 at 8:28 a.m. UTC

Isn't H.323 dead yet? Long live SIP!

Chris (guest)
October 24, 2008 at 2:02 p.m. UTC

Sadly we have a phone guy that refuses to go near voip and networking. Ive tried to indicate to him he is dinosauring himself but to no avail.

Tony Murphy (guest)
October 25, 2008 at 10:40 p.m. UTC

From experience, it's a damn sight easier for a network engineer to pick up the voice, than a telephony engineer to understand networking!

I work for a company that installs large call/contact centres (mainly Avaya, but now expanding into the Cisco products too) and it dumbfounds me how many of our voice technicians do not even know the concept of a default gateway!

My convergence specialist team are looked upon like Voodoo priests that do the QoS black magic!

Plazma (guest)
October 27, 2008 at 10:32 p.m. UTC

VOIP gives me gas

Comments have closed for this article due to its age.